Thursday 16 July 2009

The problem with being liked.

Now this is an interesting predicament I find myself in, and that's the problem of being liked. First of all this isn't something I'm used to and second of all, I certainly didn't go out of my way and ask to be treated this way. But nevertheless, such is my situation.

My Vice Principal likes me - no, scratch that, loves me - in fact he's gone out of his way several times to tell me this. In both Korean and English. So what happens when somebody likes you too much? Well, you run the risk of every little thing you do causing them grief, worry or concern. The smallest of your actions need justification, clarification, phone calls and SMS messages. You're no longer letting the company down, you're letting down a friend. But these details are minor. And you might even say, 'What are you whinging about? Surely this means you'll receive preferential treatment and your school life will be grand!' Well, this was the assumption and the above mentioned problems aside, this has been the truth - until now.

It would seem that the Vice Principal likes me so much that my presence is demanded at all possible times, for as long as possible, irrespective of whether or not I have any work to do. Of course I'm referring to the summer teaching program. Now Korean schools are not like Western schools when it comes to holidays. Holidays simply mean 'time to focus on studies more specific to your interests'. Hence I'm teaching a dozen students for 3 hours every day, for three weeks. Now typically teachers go home once they've finished their teaching, however in a moment of panic the Vice Principal has explained that I should stay until 4pm (my contracted time) simply to plan lessons for next semester. Okay - that's all well and good, but preferential treatment? And what about the fact that I will be the only teacher in the school as all the Korean teachers, also needing to plan lessons, will leave around noon? *sigh* I've seen that expression before, it happened the other week when I was required to stay back after all the Korean teachers had left. Why? To pay regular visits to an old Korean dude in need of some company. I've got no problems with that, in fact I really like the guy and am very thankful for his assistance and the golfing lessons. But come on man, I'm working my butt off for you I'm burning out. It's summer holidays and I really need a break.

5 comments:

  1. I think you need to tell him. I thought I had it bad. I feel like I have more and more to do as time goes by... but lately I've been letting my unhappiness show, just a bit. Plus, I've been getting rather sickly, so that helps.

    But yeah... I think a lot of schools expect NETs to leave after their contracted 1 year, so they'll try to get the most out of you as they can while you're there, especially if they like you. Also, I think the better you work and the more you help out, the more they depend on you and the more they depend on you. It sucks because then people who work really hard get drained and burned out.

    I hope you'll talk with him... and frame it the way you said it - that you really like being at the school and that you really like the vp, but that you feel like you're burning out and that you need time to rest in order to come back energetic and ready to do your best again after the break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice Gloria! One of my co-teachers discussed it with him yesterday and we're waiting the results, hopefully today. If they're not favorable then I'm going to approach him myself and make my unhappiness known. Not in a tantrum kind of way, but if I let them do this without the knowledge of how it makes me feel, then it just isn't fair on anybody. After all, cultural misunderstandings, first time having a NET etc... Plus, unhappiness unknown is, well, unknown. Perhaps SMOE could organise that 눈치 noon-chi lecture for the greater part of Korea, I think a few people missed out on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it'll go well. One of my co-teachers, when she's really helping me out, really does miracles. She's really helped me out a lot - she's really good with her words. I hope your co-teacher convinced the vp. It's much better when it's done that way, I think.

    I hope your vp will let you rest some. I don't know any other teachers who are required to stay until 4 (unless they agreed to get paid overtime).

    I missed that noon-chi lecture too! But then again, I think I knew a little about noon-chi from before.

    Woah... it's already 1:30 am... I need to get to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could come back here and teach with me. 4am starts to keep up with the correspondance, on site from 8am to 5pm, another couple of hours of planning in the afternoon, and no time off for 2 years!
    /rant over :)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahaha! Pat, I'm shocked that you're reading my blog! I have total sympathy for you! I don't know how you managed to put up with me all those years!

    On a side note, my school is actually a design high school that teaches some media studies. Next semester I may be starting a teacher-student movie making club. I guess you could call me a glutton for punishment...

    ReplyDelete